Suspected mobster caught after 4-year hunt
De Vito faces charges including gangsterism, conspiracy
Suspected Quebec mobster Giuseppe De Vito has been charged with gangsterism after being arrested following a four-year police search.
De Vito, 44, appeared in a Montreal courtroom Tuesday afternoon, the day after the Montreal police anti-gang unit took him into custody outside his gym in Laval.
He had been the target of a Canada-wide arrest warrant since November 2006, when police began looking for him as part of Project Colisée, a major crackdown on the Montreal Mafia.
De Vito was charged Tuesday with gangsterism, conspiracy and concealment of a prohibited firearm.
Montreal police Const. Olivier Lapointe said a tip helped police make the arrest.
"Recently our investigators with the anti-gang section received information that allowed us to finally arrest him yesterday," said Lapointe.
Wife accused of killing daughters
De Vito's arrest comes as his wife, Adèle Sorella, awaits trial on two charges of first-degree murder in the death of their two daughters.
Sorella, 44, was arrested last April after the bodies of her daughters Amanda De Vito, 9, and Sabrina De Vito, 8, were found inside the family's Laval home.
A Quebec Superior Court judge awarded Sorella bail in June with a series of conditions.
Neither De Vito nor Sorella attended the girls' funeral.
De Vito is expected to appear at the Montreal courthouse Tuesday morning.