10 memorable quotes from the Quebec election campaign
What quote will you remember most from the 2014 Quebec election trail come April 8?
Janette Bertrand doesn't want McGill students in her pool while she does Aquafit, Pierre Karl Péladeau's cri de coeur over sovereignty got Autotuned, François Legault said accountants are better politicians than social workers. What will you remember from the election campaign come April 8?
1. “My joining the Parti Québécois is an adhesion to my deepest and most cherished values, making Quebec a sovereign nation!’’ — Pierre-Karl Péladeau announces his candidacy for the Parti Québécois in St-Jérôme on March 9, 2014.
2. ‘“There will be no referendum….as long as Quebecers aren’t ready for one,” — Pauline Marois gets grilled on whether or not the PQ would hold a referendum in a first mandate, during the leaders debate on March 20, 2014.
3. “It’s that, the chipping away of rights!” — Janette Bertrand on “rich McGill students” using the pool in her apartment building, said during a secular brunch in Laval on March 30, 2014.
4. “Will the Quebec election be stolen by people from Ontario? By people from the rest of Canada?” — Bertrand St-Arnaud on students from out of province registering to vote in the Quebec election, on March 23, 2014.
5. “As Liberal leader, Philippe Couillard needs to apologize for everything our institutions had to endure because of his party. He has to take responsibility for the biggest crisis of confidence Quebecers have ever known,” — Pauline Marois challenges Philippe Couillard on the Liberal party record on March 22, 2014.
6. “It’s better to have an accountant, an entrepreneur, a manager, rather than a social worker or a doctor,” — François Legault talking about his credentials over his opponents', during a press conference on March 22, 2014.
7. “We can understand that people, seeing this anti-charter slander by certain media, end up thinking ‘Oh God, am I right to support the charter? Am I a good person?’ Well, yes, you are a good person, ladies and gentlemen, you’re part of the majority of people who want a charter.” — Bernard Drainville, telling Quebecers to vote for the PQ if they want a secular charter, on March 19, 2014.
8. “Integrity is also about consistency. I remember that in June (2012) you banged pots, wore a red square, you gave people hope. That’s why you have been criticized so much. There were tremendous budget cuts and that’s why people are angry,” — Françoise David to Pauline Marois during the leaders' debate on March 20, 2014.
9. “Hey, the bait is here. Get in Quebecers, get in the lobster trap, and then we’ll close the door. And you’ll have a referendum no matter what,” — Philippe Couillard accusing Pauline Marois of laying a referendum trap for Quebecers, on March 13, 2014.
10. “They can continue to come here. There won’t be any borders, there won’t be any tolls,” — Pauline Marois on whether Canadians could continue to come visit an independent Quebec, at press conference in Megantic on March 11, 2014.