Quebec public sector strikes: 37,000 provincial civil servants walk out Tuesday
Central Quebec, Eastern Shores school boards among those hit by teachers' strikes Tuesday
Teachers at the Central Quebec and Eastern Shores school boards are among thousands of public sector workers striking Tuesday, with schools closed in Quebec City, Gaspé and the Magdalen Islands.
In addition, 37,000 civil servants working in most provincial government ministries and dozens of parapublic agencies, including RAMQ and the SAAQ, are on the picket line Tuesday.
Among the CEGEPs closed Tuesday: Champlain College St. Lawrence in Quebec City, as well as French-language CEGEPs in Quebec City, Lac Mégantic, Baie-Comeau, Sept-Îles, Gaspé, the Chaudières-Appalaches region and across the Lower St-Lawrence.
Health-care establishments and French-language schools are also closed in the following regions:
- Quebec City
- Lower St-Lawrence
- North Shore
- Gaspé and the Magdalen Islands
Civil servants, para-public workers join walk-out
Provincial employees in most government ministries and many para-public agencies will also be on strike Tuesday, in addition to Nov. 12 and 13, as well as Dec. 1, 2 and 3 — unless there is progress at the negotiating table before then.
The provincial agencies affected Tuesday include:
- Quebec Revenue Agency.
- Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec (BAnQ).
- Police Ethics Commission.
- UPAC (Quebec's anti-corruption commission).
- CSST (Workers' Health and Safety Board).
- Quebec Labour Relations board.
- Council for the Status of Women.
- Coroner's Office.
- Public Curator of Quebec.
- Consumer's Protection Office.
- Health Insurance Board (RAMQ).
- Automobile Insurance Board (SAAQ).
- Rental Board (Régie de Logement).
- Office québécois de la langue française.