2 men arrested in connection with last month's Quebec City protests
Duelling demos led to clashes in provincial capital on Aug. 20
Police in Quebec City arrested two men Tuesday in connection with a demonstration last month that saw protesters clash with riot police.
The men, aged 19 and 20, were released after being questioned on a promise to appear. The 19-year-old suspect is expected to face charges of assault with a weapon and assault causing bodily harm. The 20-year-old faces a charge of assault causing bodily harm.
According to Quebec City police, two distinct groups took part in demonstrations on Aug. 20, and a third group was involved in another protest which was declared illegal and broken up by the anti-riot squad.
- IN DEPTH: Quebec's Antifa movement on rise in response to growth of far-right groups
- WATCH: Out of the Shadows: Inside La Meute
Police spokesperson Étienne Doyon wouldn't, however, confirm whether the two men know each other or are part of an organized group.
"We, as a police organization, investigate crimes. We do not investigate any movement or ideology," he said.
"I cannot confirm whether these people were connected by any association."
Until Tuesday, only one person, the activist Jaggi Singh, had been arrested in connection with the protest.
Doyon said the investigation is ongoing.
On Aug. 20, several hundred people had gathered to oppose a demonstration planned by La Meute, a right-wing group that wanted to protest against immigration policies.
Some demonstrators who defined themselves as anti-fascists ended up clashing with police after blocking La Meute members in an underground parking garage for several hours.
The counter-protest was organized by anti-fascist and pro-refugee groups after at least two Quebecers were identified participating in a white supremacist rally last month in Charlottesville, Va.
With files from The Canadian Press