Commuters advised to take public transit to avoid Turcot maze
More commuter trains, shuttle buses among alternatives being offered to commuters on Friday, Monday
Public transit may be the best option to avoid closures on the Turcot Interchange over the next five days.
Starting tonight, crews will be working to dismantle a section of the old Highway 15, heading north, without damaging Highway 20 or the rail corridor underneath it.
Transports Québec has advised commuters to work from home, avoid non-essential trips and use public transit during the closures.
You can find a list of those closures here:
For drivers commuting to downtown from the West Island:
- EXO is adding 14 additional trains during off-peak hours on the Vaudreuil-Hudson line. These trains will stop only at Dorval, Vendôme and Lucien-L'Allier stations.
- 200 parking spaces will be available at Les Jardins de Dorval shopping centre, near the Dorval station. Access to the station is via a protected pedestrian route under Highway 20.
- For Friday and Monday, rides will be free on the Vaudreuil-Hudson and Candiac train lines.
For commuters coming from Châteauguay:
This isn't your average Turcot closure. Our <a href="https://twitter.com/sarahleavittcbc?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@sarahleavittcbc</a> explains what to expect this weekend. <a href="https://t.co/sxTFXoZGeO">https://t.co/sxTFXoZGeO</a> <a href="https://t.co/H5rN7J1DSD">pic.twitter.com/H5rN7J1DSD</a>—@CBCMontreal
For bus commuters:
- Bus routes 1 and 28 will be diverted to Angrignon metro. These buses normally travel to the Mansfield terminus in Montreal. Free tickets for the metro will also be given to users of these lines.
- The STM is also warning that the following bus lines will be especially affected by the roadwork: 12, 21, 36, 37, 61, 107, 168, 178, 191, 211, 405, 411, 420, 425, 485, 491, 496, 747.
The road closures are necessary to dismantle an above-ground section of the old Highway 15 that spans the new Highway 20 and Canadian National's main rail corridor.
A tweet from the Turcot illustrates the expected congestion zone.
Turcot FERMÉ dès ce soir à 23 h 59 jusqu’à mardi matin 5 h. Des conditions de circulation très difficiles sont à prévoir. La collaboration de tous est requise. Infos : <a href="https://t.co/LEzhtpI51c">https://t.co/LEzhtpI51c</a> <a href="https://t.co/kzlIbR4umG">pic.twitter.com/kzlIbR4umG</a>—@MTQ_Turcot
To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.
By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.
Become a CBC Account Holder
Join the conversation Create account
Already have an account?