Vimy memorial in NDG park inaugurated on 100th anniversary of battle
Place de Vimy opened to public, but work still to be done over summer
A section of Notre-Dame-de-Grâce Park was officially inaugurated as Place de Vimy on Sunday afternoon at a ceremony to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the battle of Vimy Ridge.
Six bronze plaques illustrating the ties between Montreal and the battle of Vimy Ridge were unveiled.
Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre said it will be a place of remembrance for the men who lost their lives.
Canada lost 3,600 soldiers and more than 7,000 were injured during the three-day battle, which began on April 9, 1917.
Russell Copeman, borough mayor of Côte-des-Neiges-Notre-Dame-de-Grâce, believes the area will be a peaceful place of contemplation for passersby.
Work will be done over the summer to finish the site, including the reconstruction of certain paths.
Named following controversy in Outremont
In June 2016, the borough of Outremont sought permission to change the name of one of its neighbourhood parks from Vimy Park to Jacques-Parizeau Park. Both Montreal's executive committee and city council gave their approval.
Former Quebec premier Jacques Parizeau had lived for years on a street adjoining the small park.
One critic called the move to rename Vimy Park after Parizeau, who nearly led Quebec to sovereignty in 1995, a "political jab trying to stir up the English community."
In September the City of Montreal and the borough of Côte-des-Neiges-Notre-Dame-de-Grâce announced the creation of Place de Vimy in Notre-Dame-de-Grâce Park.
A month later Outremont held a small ceremony to make the name change official.