Man, 63, dies after being shot by Montreal police in Hochelaga-Maisonneuve

Quebec provincial police are investigating after Montreal police fatally shot André Benjamin, a man in his 60s, on Monday south of the Olympic Stadium.

André Benjamin seemed to be in psychological distress when police were called to the scene

André Benjamin, 63, died Monday after being shot by a Montreal police officer. (Simon-Marc Charron/Radio-Canada)

Quebec provincial police are investigating after a 63-year-old man was Tasered and fatally shot by Montreal police in Hochelaga-Maisonneuve.

The victim, André Benjamin, was shot shortly after 8 a.m. on Monday during a police operation on Ontario Street near Sicard Street, several blocks south of the Olympic Stadium.

Provincial police confirmed Monday afternoon that a stun gun was used in the police operation. Benjamin was also struck by at least one bullet.

The Sûreté du Québec said that Montreal police officers were called to the apartment block to check on someone in psychological distress. Benjamin had a knife.

Radio-Canada sources say a family member of the victim made the call.

After the shooting, Benjamin was rushed to hospital, where he was declared dead.

Investigators are still looking into the chronology of events surrounding Benjamin's death.

Montreal police wouldn't comment on the incident, saying only that the investigation had been handed over to the SQ.

Montreal police are at the scene of a shooting this morning on Ontario Street in Hochelaga-Maisonneuve. (Simon-Marc Charron/Radio-Canada)
Under Quebec law, any police intervention where a weapon is discharged or someone is hurt must be investigated by a police force that was not involved in the intervention.

Quebec's Human Rights Commission has criticized the government for long delays in opening an independent bureau to investigate shootings, serious injuries and deaths involving a police officer. 

The provincial government voted three years ago to create the independent bureau, but it is still not operational.

Brother of another police shooting victim speaks out

Alain Magloire, a 41-year-old man who suffered from mental illness, was shot four times by police outside the Berri bus station in February 2014. (Facebook)
Monday's fatal police shooting comes about six weeks after a coroner's report was released into another fatal police shooting.

Alain Magloire, a Montreal man who was suffering from mental illness, was shot and killed by police near the downtown Berri bus station two years ago.

The coroner's report called for more police use of stun guns and for better training on how to deal with people with mental health issues.

The victim's brother, Pierre Magloire, agrees and told CBC he's upset that another man has died at the hands of police.

"It makes me sad that someone, again, has been shot. It's like I'm always asking for more [training,]" Magloire said.

Since his brother's death, Magloire has made it his mission to educate police about mental illness.

"It's not because you have a stun gun that everything will go away and everything will be fine."

with files from CBC jounralist Sudha Krishnan and Canadian Press