Man charged with attempted murder after allegedly disarming Montreal police officer
Police set up command post in Parc-Extension to gather more information
Montreal police set up a command post on Saturday in the city's Parc-Extension neighbourhood in order to gather more information about a Thursday incident that ended with a Montreal police officer in hospital.
A 31-year-old man is facing several charges, including attempted murder, following the incident that began as a routine traffic stop.
The man is also facing charges of aggravated assault against a police officer, disarming a police officer and discharging a prohibited firearm.
Police spokesperson Const. Raphaël Bergeron said investigators at the command post want to speak to anyone with any information, no matter how inconsequential it may seem.
"We invite all people that could detain any information regarding this event to come to the intersection of Cremazie and Bloomfield to meet with the investigators in charge of that file," he said.
People can also call Info-Crime at 514-393-1133, Bergeron said.
The incident, which began around 4 p.m., led to a massive police operation in the Parc-Extension neighbourhood.
At first, police said an officer had been shot and was in hospital with serious injuries to the upper body. Later, police said it wasn't clear if the officer had been injured by a bullet or something else.
On Friday, police said the officer had been released from hospital, but would not confirm the nature of the officer's injuries.
Radio-Canada has since learned the suspect was pulled over for allegedly using a cell phone while driving.
He was stopped on Crémazie Blvd. near Champagneur Ave., not far from the Marché Central shopping complex.
The traffic stop degenerated into a violent altercation, Radio-Canada reports, and the motorist allegedly fled the scene.
Police searched for the suspect for roughly three hours before making an arrest.
With files from Radio-Canada's Pascal Robidas