Lachine man dead after home catches fire
A man between the ages of 40 and 50 is dead after a Lachine home caught fire.
The blaze started around 4:30 a.m. Saturday morning.
Benoit Fleury, the chief of operations for the Montreal fire department, said the fire started on the stove.
Firefighters arrived at 2536 Croissant de Holon in Lachine four minutes after the 911 call was placed.
They found the man unconscious in the townhouse-type dwelling and brought him to the Lachine Hospital.
Fleury said it appears the man died of smoke inhalation, since there was no fire damage inside the home.
"You can forget some food on the stove and it catches fire or it burns in the pot that you use, and it creates smoke inside your house. That’s why it’s really important to have smoke detectors in your apartment," Fleury said.
He had yet to confirm whether the home was equipped with smoke detectors or if they were working.