Lac-Mégantic overnight fire leaves 8 homeless
Fire happened on Du Foyer Street in the Fatima neighbourhood
Firefighters in Lac-Mégantic battled a raging fire overnight that destroyed two homes and left eight people homeless just days before Christmas.
The fire started late Thursday night in the garage of one house on Du Foyer Street, in the Fatima neighbourhood of Lac-Mégantic. The cause of the fire is believed to have been an electrical malfunction caused by faulty extension cords connected to Christmas lights.
The fire spread to a neighbouring house, eventually engulfing both homes in flames.
Jean-Luc Boucher's parents will be spending the next few weeks, if not months, with him and his wife until they can find a new home in Lac-Mégantic, after their home was ravaged by the fire.
"It's for sure that it's never a good time [for something like this to happen] when it's the holiday season, but that's how it is. There's nothing more we can do," Boucher said.
No injuries have been reported, and the other six people affected by the fire — two women who lived with Boucher's parents and four brothers who lived in the house next door — have been taken in by the Red Cross.