La Presse endorses Justin Trudeau's Liberals
Montreal daily hadn't backed a federal party since the Conservatives in 2006
Montreal's La Presse is endorsing Justin Trudeau's Liberals in the 2015 election.
In an editorial published this morning, the newspaper says Trudeau is ready to lead the country.
- Justin Trudeau's rise shows the benefits of being underestimated
- Liberal comeback in Toronto dampens Mulcair's hopes for victory
- Looking for more Quebec federal election coverage? Go here
It says both the NDP and the Liberals are viable options — but that Trudeau's collaborative leadership style would make his party the best choice.
It also makes the case for Quebecers to unite behind a single party to ensure the Conservatives are ousted from power and the province is well-represented in Ottawa.
La Presse hasn't endorsed a party in a federal election since 2006. Here is a full list of their recent endorsements:
- 2011 - No endorsement (advocated only for "a strong Quebec in Ottawa")
- 2008 - No endorsement
- 2006 - Conservative Party
- 2004 - No endorsement (advocated for a minority government)
- 2000 - Liberal Party
- 1997 - Liberal Party
- 1993 - Liberal Party
- 1988 - Progressive Conservative Party