Montreal

Kitchen fire sparks evacuation of Anjou seniors' residence

More than 100 people were forced from their apartments in Anjou overnight after a fire broke out in one of the building's units.
A firefighter helps one of the more than 100 residents who were forced from their home in an early morning fire Tuesday. (Radio-Canada)

More than 100 people were forced from their apartments overnight in Anjou after a fire broke out in one of the building's units.

The fire started just after 4 a.m. in the kitchen of an apartment on the fourth floor of the Châteauneuf Boulevard building, which houses a number of seniors.

When firefighters arrived, an emergency plan was triggered to help evacuate the building of occupants with reduced mobility.

The 107-unit building is constructed in concrete which, Montreal fire officials said, prevented the fire from spreading to other units.

Residents on the fourth floor won't be able to return to their units until the smoke and water is cleaned up.

The unit where the fire started was destroyed.

now