Gabriel Nadeau-Dubois, Quebec student protest leader, to have case heard by Supreme Court
Former student leader could be retried for contempt of court for comments during spring 2012
The Supreme Court of Canada will hear the contempt-of-court case against Gabriel Nadeau-Dubois, one of the most prominent figures in the Quebec student protests in the spring of 2012.
On Thursday, Canada's top court granted the leave to appeal sought by Jean-François Morasse, the Laval University student who claimed Nadeau-Dubois incited students to break a court-ordered injunction by inviting them to strike and disrupt classes.
- Prominent Quebec student protester convicted of contempt
- Former student leader sentenced to community service
- TIMELINE: Quebec student protests of 2012
The court case dates back to the student protests of 2012, when a provincial government proposal to hike student fees by $1,625 annually sparked months of civil unrest in Quebec.
During the height of the tensions on university and college campuses in May, Morasse obtained an injunction to be allowed to attend his classes at Laval University.
A few days later, on May 13, Nadeau-Dubois — the spokesman for CLASSÉ, the most hardline student organization involved in the strike movement — said in an interview on Radio-Canada it was "legitimate" for students to picket classrooms, to block access to students who wanted to attend class.
"I believe it's legitimate for students to take the necessary means to respect the democratic choice that was made to go on strike." said Nadeau-Dubois in the interview.
Morasse contended that Nadeau-Dubois's public comments contravened the injunction and constituted contempt of court.
However, in January 2015, Quebec's Court of Appeal overturned that ruling. Three justices ruled in favour of Nadeau-Dubois, and he was acquitted.
The former student leader had taken to Twitter to say that justice had been served.