Montreal

Fumes in Montreal school send 7 to hospital

Five adults and two children from a centre for people with disabilities were rushed to hospital on Friday after being overcome by varnish fumes.
Floor varnish fumes made several people ill Friday at Montreal's École Victor-Doré. (Google Street View)

Five adults and two children from a centre for people with disabilities were rushed to hospital on Friday after being overcome by varnish fumes.

Stéphane Smith, a spokesman for the city's ambulance service, says the five adults are between 20 and 25 years old, while the children are aged nine and 12.

None of their lives were in danger.

"Everyone is stable," Smith said.

The centre, the École Victor-Doré, offers a variety of educational services and programs for children with mental and physical disabilities.

The group affected on Friday were attending a day camp.

"There was work being done in the building and varnish was applied to the floors," Smith said.

However, there were apparently inadequate precautions to ensure the work area was properly ventilated of the strong solvent's smell.

"The children and adults smelled it, felt nauseous, had tingling in their fingers and chest pains."

About 15 people had to be evacuated from the facility in the city's east end. Paramedics raced to the scene along with police and firefighters.

The fire department's hazardous materials unit was also deployed.

now