Montreal

Lower St-Lawrence town reeling after volunteer firefighter killed

Carmel Moreault, 54, died from his injuries after he was struck by a water-filled ventilation pipe while fighting a fire at the Norampac cardboard plant in Témiscouata-sur-le-Lac.

Carmel Moreault, 54, died from his injuries after being struck by water-filled ventilation pipe

Témiscouata-sur-le-Lac's volunteer fire service posted this photo of Carmel Moreault, 54, to its Facebook page. 'Always remember the fallen heros,' it read, in part. (Service incendie Témiscouata-sur-le-Lac)

People in the town of Témiscouata-sur-le-Lac, just east of Rivière-du-Loup, are in shock following the death of a volunteer firefighter. 

Carmel Moreault, 54, was injured in a fire at the Norampac cardboard-box plant on Tuesday evening when a ventilation shaft filled with water fell on him. 

Moreault was transported to hospital but later died of his injuries.

Norampac is a division of Cascades Canada. Hugo D'amours, a spokesperson for Cascades, said everyone at the plant is in shock. 

He said Témiscouata-sur-le-Lac is a tight-knit community, and several Norampac employees are volunteer firefighters, as Moreault was, and were close friends of his.
Carmel Moreault, a volunteer firefighter, was killed after he was struck by a water-filled ventilation pipe while helping put out a fire at a cardboard-box plant in Témiscouata-sur-le-Lac Tuesday. (Alex April/Facebook)

D'amours said counsellors have been brought into the plant to help employees deal with their grief.

Mayor Gilles Garon said Moreault — who had ten years experience — will be missed.

"My sympathies go out to [Mr. Moreault's] family and friends and to his colleagues, because they are a family as well," he said.

D'Amours said small fires can break out in the section where pulp is dried into cardboard at high temperature.
But it's unusual to call in firefighters.

The extent of the damage to the plant is unknown.

Provincial police are conducting a joint investigation with CNESST, Quebec's workplace health and safety commission.
A CNESST spokesperson said the firefighter was injured when a ventilation pipe filled with water and fell onto him. (Alex April/Facebook)

With files from Catou MacKinnon and Radio-Canada

now