Lachine fire prompts familiar reminder about smoke detectors
Basement apartment where fire broke out had no working smoke alarm
One person had to be treated for smoke inhalation after an apartment fire in Lachine early Thursday.
It started at around 2:20 a.m., in the kitchen of a basement apartment on 25th Avenue.
Martin Guilbault, chief of operations with the Montreal fire department, said the three-storey building has eight units and not all the smoke alarms were working when the fire broke out.
"There was no smoke alarm in the apartment [where the fire started], so we're pretty lucky that no one was badly injured," he said.
Guilbault said everyone who lives in the building can return to their homes except for the tenant in the apartment where the fire started.
He added that it's up to tenants to put batteries in smoke alarms and is reminding people to check their batteries.