Kitchener man facing murder charge in Laval shooting death
Laval police arrested a 29-year-old man they believe killed Ferdinando Belmonte this past summer
Laval police have made an arrest in connection with a homicide case from this summer.
In June, 22-year-old Ferdinando Belmonte's body was found outside an apartment complex in the Saint-Vincent-de-Paul district. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
The person who called 911 originally thought he had fallen down the stairs, but police later realized he had been shot.
On Tuesday, Laval police travelled to Kitchener, Ont. to arrest a 29-year-old man in connection with Belmonte's death.
The man lives in Kitchener but makes frequent trips to Laval, said police spokesperson Const. Evelyne Boudreau. She could not say whether he had a Laval address or whether the suspect and victim knew each other.
With the assistance of the Waterloo Regional Police Service, officers raided the man's home and found "many elements of proof" outlined in the search warrants, Boudreau said, but could not elaborate on what they were looking for.
The man appeared in an Ontario court Wednesday and is expected to appear in court in Laval Friday or Saturday.
He is facing at least one murder charge, though it's unclear at this point whether it would be first or second degree, Boudreau said.
Belmonte's death was the third homicide of the year in Laval.