Montreal

Minister won't say yet if Cabinet approved transfer of 3 EMSB schools

Education Minister Jean-Francois Roberge says a decision has been made about the fate of three English Montreal School Board schools, but won't be revealing it publicly until parents are notified. 

Roberge needed cabinet approval to move forward with the transfer of 3 schools. He's not saying if he got it

Education Minister Jean-François Roberge says he'll tell parents first what cabinet has decided about the fate of three English Montreal schools. (CBC)

Education Minister Jean-Francois Roberge says a decision has been made about the fate of three English Montreal School Board schools, but won't be revealing it publicly until parents are notified. 

Earlier this month, Roberge said he would force the transfer of General Vanier Elementary School, Gerald McShane Elementary School and John Paul Junior High School to the Commission scolaire de la Pointe-de-l'Île (CSPI), unless both boards come up with a solution.

CSPI's schools are overcrowded and need more space.

The issue was set to be debated in cabinet today. Roberge won't say whether the transfers were approved or not. 

"They will receive a letter really soon, because I don't want to communicate with them through the media," he told reporters Wednesday. "I want to have direct communication with the parents. It's a question of respect."

Roberge took heat for making the initial announcement about his intention to transfer the schools on French-language radio and refusing interviews with English media outlets until the following day.

The EMSB is meeting tonight about its counter-proposal of sharing some of its schools with CSPI for at least a year in a cohabitation project. 

The CSPI rejected the EMSB's first cohabitation offer last month. 

now