Montreal·The Latest

COVID-19 in Quebec: What you need to know on Saturday

Another class action lawsuit is being filed against a long-term care home, alleging neglect and the mistreatment of residents in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. 

A 3rd class action lawsuit request has been filed against a long-term care home in Montreal

A woman walks along a sanitary corridor in Montreal. The city has widened some sidewalks so people can keep a safe distance from each other. (Paul Chiasson/The Canadian Press)

The latest:

  • Quebec has 50,651 confirmed cases of COVID-19, and 4,439 people have died, an increase of 419 cases and 76 deaths from a day earlier.
  • There are 1,197 people in hospital (a decrease of 68), including 167 in intensive care (a decrease of five). Here's a guide to the numbers.
  • Hair dressers, tattoo parlours and other personal-care businesses will be able to reopen June 15 in the Montreal area and Joliette, and June 1 everywhere else.
  • Find out where Montreal's mobile testing sites are today.

Another class action lawsuit is being filed against a long-term care home, alleging neglect and the mistreatment of residents in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. 

The lawsuit request was filed to Quebec Superior Court this week by the estate of Olga Sarlis, who died on April 28 at the age of 91 at Vigi Mont-Royal, a privately-run CHSLD in Town of Mount Royal. 

The document claims Sarlis died in "unacceptable" conditions and that the home did not follow safety procedures to prevent residents from further harm amid the crisis. 

It is requesting $100,000 in compensation for people who lost a spouse at the home, $30,000 for each of their heirs, and $30,000 for residents who got sick and survived.

The lawsuit request is the third to have been filed against a long-term care home in Montreal. 

Lawn bowling will be allowed soon

Preparations are underway to get lawn bowlers onto the pitch again in the Montreal area, now that public health authorities have approved the activity as they ease some pandemic restrictions on recreation.

The president of the Quebec Lawn Bowling Federation, Bruce St-Louis, says all five clubs under the federation's jurisdiction should be open before the end of June.

There was initially some confusion over whether lawn bowling could reopen because in a briefing last week, Montreal Mayor Valérie Plante only mentioned pétanque in the list of approved activities.

However, St-Louis says it was later clarified that bocce and lawn bowling fall under the same umbrella.

Other info you should know

Public installations like outdoor pools, splash pads, and playgrounds and washrooms can now reopen.

Residents of small Quebec town want a popular campground to remain closed over COVID-19 fears.

For anxious would-be parents, fertility clinics can't reopen soon enough.

Add some “good” to your morning and evening.

A variety of newsletters you'll love, delivered straight to you.

Sign up now

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

now