COVID-19 in Quebec: What you need to know Monday
Province added 2,546 new cases and 32 more deaths to its tally Monday
- Quebec reported 2,546 new cases on Monday and 32 more deaths.
- Since the start of the pandemic, there have been 212,850 confirmed cases and 8,379 people have died. Here's a guide to the numbers.
- There are 1,294 people in hospital (an increase of 69), including 188 intensive care (an increase of nine).
- 1,711 doses of vaccine were administered yesterday, for a total of 30,473.
- CBC Montreal is collecting stories from Quebecers who have recovered from COVID-19. If you would like to share your experience, please get in touch.
The spread of the coronavirus is showing no signs of slowing, as Quebec recorded 2,546 new cases and 32 more deaths on Monday.
Premier François Legault is expected to give his first update of the new year at 5 p.m. on Wednesday, according to Radio-Canada. In the past, he has used late afternoon news conferences to deliver bad news, such as new lockdown measures.
The rising case count has prompted calls from experts for the province to extend the closure of some businesses and schools.
In a tweet Monday, Health Minister Christian Dubé said the numbers remain worrisome.
"To reduce cases, we need your co-operation" with regard to contact tracing and respecting the public-health measures in order to protect the elderly, he said.
Top COVID-19 stories today
- More than 300 experts ask provinces to update health guidelines on COVID-19 airborne transmission
- Will Quebec's lockdown be extended now that COVID-19 is still surging? Some experts hope so
- Montreal region's COVID-19 wards could overflow within 3 weeks, provincial predictions suggest
- What's essential anyway? Confusion reigns over holiday COVID-19 restrictions.
- VIDEO | Getting through the holidays during a pandemic.
What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
- New or worsening cough.
- Difficulty breathing.
- Sudden loss of smell without a stuffy nose.
- Gastrointestinal issues (such as nausea, diarrhea).
If you think you may have COVID-19, the government asks that you call 1‑877‑644‑4545 to schedule an appointment at a screening clinic.
Quebec government reminders for preventing the spread of COVID-19:
- Wash your hands frequently.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Wear a mask or face covering when physical distancing is not possible. Wearing a mask is mandatory in enclosed public spaces across the province.
- Stay at least two metres away from other people as much as possible.
- Self-isolate for 14 days after returning from a stay outside the country.