COVID-19 in Quebec: What you need to know on Wednesday
Quebec adds 359 cases confirmed over long weekend, 844 from last 24 hours
- Quebec reported 844 new cases of COVID-19 and six more deaths on Wednesday.
- Quebec added 359 cases that were detected between Oct. 10 and Oct. 12 to the total number of confirmed cases, citing a technical problem as the cause for the error.
- Since the start of the pandemic, there have been 88,994 confirmed cases in the province and 5,976 people have died.
- There are 488 people in hospital (an increase of 20 from Tuesday), including 80 in intensive care (a decrease of five). Here's a guide to the numbers.
- Having trouble keeping track of what's now closed? Consult our list.
Quebec's Health Ministry says a data transmission error prevented some new COVID-19 cases from being recorded over the Thanksgiving long weekend, pushing up daily totals that had been seen as reason for cautious optimism.
On Wednesday, the province added 359 cases that were detected between Saturday and Monday to the total.
The Health Ministry says the transmission problem has since been resolved.
The new daily case numbers are 980 on Saturday, 1,056 on Sunday and 923 on Monday. The additional cases mean the seven-day rolling average is now 1,011 daily cases, instead of 960.
Since the start of the pandemic, there have been 88,994 confirmed cases in the province.
Top COVID-19 stories today
- Demand for flu shot surges at Quebec pharmacies and clinics.
- Pandemic has lengthened wait times for surgery, leaving hundreds of patients in limbo.
- How rapid tests work and why timing is critical.
- Case numbers may appear to be stabilizing but don't count on Christmas just yet, Legault says.
- COVID-19 is changing the way men and women split the risk in the workplace.
- This is what you can and can't do while living in a red zone.
What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
- New or worsening cough.
- Difficulty breathing.
- Sudden loss of smell without a stuffy nose.
- Gastrointestinal issues (such as nausea, diarrhea).
If you think you may have COVID-19, the government asks that you call 1‑877‑644‑4545 to schedule an appointment at a screening clinic.
Quebec government reminders for preventing the spread of COVID-19:
- Wash your hands frequently.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Wear a mask or face covering when physical distancing is not possible. Wearing a mask is mandatory in enclosed public spaces across the province.
- Stay at least two metres away from other people as much as possible.
- Self-isolate for 14 days after returning from a stay outside the country.