COVID-19 in Quebec: What you need to know this weekend
The province reported nearly 900 new cases on Sunday
- Quebec reported 896 new cases of COVID-19 and two new deaths Sunday. Two deaths occurring between Sept. 20 and Sept. 25 were added to the total. Since the start of the pandemic, there have been 71,901 confirmed cases and 5,825 people have died.
- There are 216 people in hospital (a decrease of one), including 41 in intensive care (a decrease of four). One week ago, there were 148 hospitalized COVID-19 patients.
- Having trouble keeping track of what has reopened? Consult our list.
The number of COVID-19 infections in the province continues to surge, Quebec reporting 896 new cases on Sunday. That's the highest single-day increase since early May, when the province was still in the grips of the first wave of infections.
The number of hospitalizations and patients in the intensive care unit saw a slight decrease compared to yesterday. But over the past week hospitalizations have risen 46 per cent.
Quebec's seven-day moving average is now at 73 cases per million inhabitants. The government had hoped to keep that number below 25 per million.
"The high increase in cases is mainly associated to community transmission of the virus," Health Minister Christian Dubé wrote Sunday on Twitter.
He is urging the public to avoid social gatherings for the next 28 days.
Top COVID-19 stories today
- Residents at CHSLD Herron in isolation after staff member tests positive for COVID-19
- How Quebec's bungled messaging is hampering the anti-virus effort.
- Quebec announced $85 million in funding to help schools adapt to the pandemic.
- An outbreak on a floor of a Laval CHSLD has infected at least 11 residents and seven employees.
- Doctors in Quebec long-term care hospitals lean on each other as second wave begins.
- McGill students say COVID-19 is more widespread than reported by the university.
What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
- New or worsening cough.
- Difficulty breathing.
- Sudden loss of smell without a stuffy nose.
If you think you may have COVID-19, the government asks that you call 1‑877‑644‑4545 to schedule an appointment at a screening clinic.
Quebec government reminders for preventing the spread of COVID-19:
- Wash your hands frequently.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Wear a mask or face covering when physical distancing is not possible. Wearing a mask is mandatory in enclosed public spaces across the province.
- Stay at least two metres away from other people as much as possible.
- Self-isolate for 14 days after returning from a stay outside the country.