Quebec film awards renamed Prix Iris after Claude Jutra sex scandal

Québec Cinéma has picked the name “Iris” for its annual awards ceremony after stamping out Claude Jutra’s presence from the event following allegations he had sex with boys as young as 13.

New name said to usher in new identity for Quebec cinema celebration

Claude Jutra was an actor, writer and director who was considered one of the founding fathers of Quebec cinema. (Radio-Canada)

Québec Cinéma has picked the name "Iris" for its annual awards ceremony after stamping out filmmaker Claude Jutra's presence from the event due to a sex scandal.

Handed out since 1999, the awards were named after Jutra until February, when allegations that he had sex with boys as young as 13 came to light through a biography, sending shockwaves through the Canadian film industry.

The new name was voted on by the public and industry artists, with 65 per cent of respondents favouring the name Iris. The remaining 35 per cent voted for Lumi.

Québec Cinéma called the new name a "new identity."

Québec Cinéma released this image along with the announcement that the 2016 awards would simply be known as the Gala du cinéma québécois. The awards will now be known as the Prix Iris. (Québec Cinéma)

New trophy, new image

A new trophy is being created to represent the awards' new character. From 14 artists who submitted their candidature, three Quebec sculptors have been chosen to create new trophies. They are expected to be ready at the beginning of 2017.   

Along with Québec Cinéma changing the name of its awards, the Canadian Screen Awards removed Jutra's name from a prize for first-time filmmakers and the city of Montreal pledged to remove his name from a downtown park and an east end street.

Quebec's Prix Iris is not to be confused with the Iris Prize, a British film award which celebrates international LGBT short films.