Ban on campfires completely lifted across Quebec — for now
Weather conditions mean Quebec forests are now at lower risk of catching fire
With weather conditions no longer posing a high risk of forest fires, Quebec's forest fire protection agency lifted the ban on campfires in the province's forests Saturday.
The ban had been put in place in some areas of Quebec on Monday, but the risk of forest fires is now low to moderate in most of the province.
The fact that the ban has been lifted doesn't mean campers should rush to light a fire, said Stéphane Caron, a prevention coordinator and spokesperson for the Société de protection des forêts contre le feu (SOPFEU). The danger of starting a forest fire still exists, he said.
SOPFEU is asking that all campers check their website to see what the risk levels are in different Quebec regions first.
It will continue to monitor the risk levels daily, and will put the ban into effect again if it becomes necessary.
"This year, it was the first time we banned open fires. Other years, at this time of year, we would've already been on our third or fourth [ban]," said Caron.
There are currently three active forest fires in the province, and there have been a total of 139 forest fires in Quebec so far this year.
That is a lower number than usual, with the 10-year average at 314 fires by this time of the year.
With files from CBC's Franca Mignacca