Website error worries Winnipeg Harvest
Charity admits it erred in filing information to Canada Revenue Agency
The head of Manitoba's largest food bank worries an error that is visible on a Canada Revenue Agency website could turn people off donating to the organization.
The site, which contains financial details of charities, incorrectly stated several people at Winnipeg Harvest earned between $120,000 and $160,000 each.
Harvest director David Northcott told CBC News late Tuesday that Winnipeg Harvest had made a mistake in filing its salary information to the Canada Revenue Agency, but the incorrect information still appears online.
Northcott originally said the Canada Revenue Agency had made a clerical error, which he learned about after getting a phone call last week from someone questioning the high incomes.
No one at Harvest makes anywhere near that much money, Northcott said, adding that he wonders how many more people may have seen the Canada Revenue Agency website and changed their minds about helping the charity.
"That's the big fear — is that they'll read it online and not bother calling us and say, 'Oh well, that does it, I'm not going to support this group anymore. I'll go to the next one,'" he said.
"'They're paying all these people all this money. It's not going where it should go.' That's the big fear. We don't get a chance to chat with them and that's the damage that can take place."
Northcott said he hopes the Canada Revenue Agency will correct or remove the erroneous salary information soon.
"At this time of year we're very very anxious and to have it surface on Friday, we would have loved to have had it all dealt with Friday, instantly, because this kind of stuff is damaging," he said.
Other Manitoba charitable organizations
Source: Charities Listings, Canada Revenue Agency. Net worth and salary information are from 2010.
- Net Worth: $ 466,501,419
- Top Salary: $200,000-249,000 (Five other staff members earn between $80,000-$119,000)
CancerCare Manitoba Foundation
- Net Worth: $35,390,326
- Top Salary: Two staff members earn between $80,000-$119,000 each
- Net Worth/Total Revenue: $5,498,527
- Top Salary: Two staff members earn $80,000-$119,000 each
Indian and Métis Friendship Centre
- Net Worth/Total Revenue: $2,284,488
- Top Salary: Three staff members earn $40,000-$79,999 each
University of Winnipeg Foundation
- Net Worth/Total Revenue: $37,704,768
- Top Salary: One staff person earns $80,000-119,000 and another earns $120,000-$159,000
Mennonite Central Committee
- Net worth/Total Revenue: $12,319,681
- Top Salary: 10 staff people earn $40,000-$79,999 each
With files from the CBC's Angela Johnston and Sean Kavanagh and The Canadian Press