Manitoba

U.S. man accused of kidnapping son to stay in custody

A Colorado man accused of kidnapping his three-year-old son and taking him across the border to Manitoba will remain in custody in Winnipeg for the time being.

Monty Turner's request to have hearings held in private denied

U.S. man accused of kidnapping son to stay in custody

9 years ago
Duration 1:50
A Colorado man accused of kidnapping his three-year-old son and taking him across the border to Manitoba will remain in custody in Winnipeg for the time being.

A Colorado man accused of kidnapping his three-year-old son and taking him across the border to Manitoba will remain in custody in Winnipeg for the time being.

Monty Turner, 51, faces numerous charges in the U.S., including kidnapping.

He was arrested after he was found with his son, Luke, at the Casa Blanca Motor Inn in Brandon, Man., on May 26.

The boy had been taken a day earlier from the home of his mom, Brandy Turner, in Longmont, Colo., roughly 1,500 kilometres from Brandon. A court order prohibits Monty Turner from contacting his estranged wife and son.

Turner is currently at the Winnipeg Remand Centre until Canadian officials can deport him.

At a detention review hearing on Tuesday afternoon, an immigration adjudicator ruled that Turner will stay in custody until his deportation hearing is held.

The adjudicator also denied Turner's request to have the rest of his hearings held in private.

Brandy Turner, who was reunited with Luke on May 28, told CBC News she wants to know how her estranged husband was able to cross the U.S-Canada border while an Amber Alert was in effect for Luke.

"It is a concern, how somebody could get away so quickly and easily with an active Amber Alert. So I know a lot of people would like to know that information," she said Tuesday.

Turner added that she is worried that Monty Turner will eventually be released.

"I would be instantaneously in hiding," she said.

Last week, the adjudicator decided that Monty Turner was a flight risk and decided to keep him in custody.

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has argued that it does not want him released from custody until a permit can be obtained for his deportation.

Turner has pleaded with the review board to let him wait for his deportation out of custody, arguing that he would not present a flight risk because he doesn't have much money and his car has been seized by police.

His next detention review date will be on July 2 in Winnipeg.

now