Manitoba

Teen gets adult sentence for home invasion

A Manitoba teen has been handed an adult sentence of five years in prison for his role in a violent Winnipeg home invasion.

A Manitoba teen has been handed an adult sentence of five years in prison for his role in a violent Winnipeg home invasion.

Jon Paul Thomas, now 17, was one of a group of youths who went to a home in the 900 block of William Avenue on the evening Feb. 18, 2010 and confronted the people inside.

He pleaded guilty previously to housebreak and enter to commit aggravated assault. A 17-year-old youth and his 44-year-old uncle were badly injured by stab wounds, according to a police account of the attack. Both victims were taken to hospital in critical condition, but survived.

Crown attorney Mary Goska told CBC News the youths went to the home to confront the young victim for "bad-mouthing them" and violence erupted. Thomas was "one of the main perpetrators" in the attack, court heard.

"It's a very very serious offence you've committed — very disturbing quite frankly," provincial court judge Mary-Kate Harvie told Thomas at an afternoon sentencing hearing.

Court heard previously that Thomas had a troubled upbringing, but Harvie said it was no reason for his criminal conduct.

"That's in no way an excuse for participating in an offence like this – particularly to the degree that you did," she said.

"If you keep up at this rate, you'll simply spend the rest of your life in jail."

Harvie stated the rare measure of handing the teen an adult sentence was "appropriate." He has four years and eight months left to serve behind bars. Thomas was not given any credit for the majority of the time he's spent in jail awaiting sentencing.

Thomas will now have a hearing to determine where he will serve his time.