Steinbach house fire caused by careless smoking

Careless smoking igniting garbage and recycling is cited as the cause of a $400,000 house fire in Steinbach.
The fire in the Steinbach home began in the garage and spread to the two-story attached home. (Courtesy Steinbach Online)

Careless smoking is cited as the cause of a $400,000 house fire in Steinbach.

The fire caused $400,000 in damage. (Courtesy Steinbach Online)
According to the Office of the Fire Commissioner, the blaze on Sunday evening started in an attached garage as a result of careless smoking igniting garbage and recyclables.

When firefighters arrived, the garage was fully engulfed and flames had spread up the house and into the roof.

Six people managed to get out of the home without injury.