Tuesday's perceived threat to Selkirk-area schools was from old post that was reshared, police say

The Lord Selkirk School Division has lifted a "hold and secure" for its schools after police determined a perceived threat was simply an old message that had been reshared online, and not a new threat to the schools.

Division placed schools under tighter security Tuesday after more social media threats surfaced

Lord Selkirk School Division schools are no longer in hold-and-secure mode. (Gary Solilak/CBC )

The Lord Selkirk School Division has lifted a "hold and secure" for its schools after police determined a perceived threat was simply an old message that had been reshared online, and not a new threat to the schools. 

Schools had been put on the security status, which limits entry and exit but allows classes to continue, after more threats surfaced Tuesday morning. 

The division posted the alert on its website and Twitter at about 11:30 a.m. 

On Monday, the division closed all 15 of its schools, just north of Winnipeg, due to threats surfacing on social media. Three young people were arrested in connection with the threats and two have been charged. 

"The last couple of days have been challenging for us," RCMP Insp. Alan Hofland said.

It really did impede our ability to get to the bottom of the matter.-  RCMP Insp. Alan Hofland 

It was difficult to determine if the threat RCMP found on Tuesday was new, or simply a previous threat that was being reshared as it had been reposted several times over on social media, Hofland said.

"It really did impede our ability to get to the bottom of the matter," he said, adding that police are asking people to report anything suspicious that they see, rather than sharing it again online. 

"We rely on people to keep us informed of what's happening. We're asking people to come forward if they do see anything suspicious," he said. 

"Any delay in doing that results in a hindrance to us to provide response to that threat."

Hofland went on to say that a threat like this results in "stress, causes fear, causes uncertainty."

"Wondering what to do, how to do it, am I going to be safe? Are my friends going to be safe?" he said. "Mom and dads wondering, do I come get my kid?... All kinds of questions, all kinds of uncertainty."

Lifelong Selkirk resident Jackie Bakaluk echoed those sentiments Tuesday.

"It's really disturbing, of course, and I just feel bad for the parents of children there, because ... this is serious."

While it's important that the culprits be punished, Bakaluk said she also would like their peers to see the consequences of their actions. She said that might prevent anyone from doing anything like this again.

"A lot of the kids think, 'Oh, this is kind of cool' and 'This is heroic' ... but they don't see what happens to these kids after," she said. "They need to go wherever they are — in prison, or wherever they are — and show the other kids this is what happens, this is the consequences of this fun little act or whatever it is that you're doing.

"We've got to put some kind of fear into them somehow."

No arrests were made Tuesday in connection with any threats to the school division, but the RCMP's investigation is still ongoing, Hofland said.

Watch the full press conference with RCMP and the school division:

With files from Nelly Gonzalez