Rinelle Harper discharged from Winnipeg hospital, recovering at home

A teen who was viciously attacked almost one week ago is now recovering with her family at home in Winnipeg.

Harper, 16, received treatment this week in Winnipeg after being sexually assaulted last weekend

Rinelle Harper, 16, nearly died after she ended up in the frigid waters of the Assiniboine River near the Midtown Bridge. (Handout)

A teen who was viciously attacked almost one week ago is now recovering with her family at home in Winnipeg.

Sixteen-year-old Rinelle Harper was released from the Winnipeg’s Children's Hospital Friday afternoon.

David Harper, Manitoba Keewatinowi Okimakanak (MKO) chief and a relative, said Rinelle was discharged after a series of tests Friday.

"Well, she's still very tired," said David Harper. "I mean, she's emotionally tired, of course. At the same time her body is still kind of aching. You know, she has her ups and downs."

Harper said the family has talked to Rinelle about the attack on her and the attention in the media.

Harper said Rinelle has questioned why there is an association being made between her attack and the death of Tina Fontaine.

"She tends to question ... 'Why do they keep mentioning Tina Fontaine along with me?' They told me they're just making comparisons because of what happened, what could have happened. So, that's why she was questioning today and she understood."

The high school student was left for dead near the Assiniboine River last weekend. Her battered body was found early last Saturday morning.

Winnipeg police said the teen was assaulted and dumped in the river. She managed to climb out of the water, only to be attacked a second time.

Two suspects have been arrested and charged with attempted murder.

Twenty-year-old Justin Hudson and a 17-year-old boy, who can't be named, remain in custody.

Harper said Rinelle is aware two suspects have been arrested in her case.

Police have alleged the pair was involved in another sexual assault last weekend shortly after Rinelle Harper was attacked.