Remembrance Day events in and around Winnipeg
Manitobans who want to pay tribute to Canada's soldiers and veterans have dozens of ceremonies, parades and other events to choose from in Winnipeg alone.
The largest event in the city will be at the RBC Convention Centre downtown. CBC will show a live video stream of the service starting at 10:45 a.m. CT on cbc.ca/manitoba.
There will also be an outdoor service on the grounds of the Manitoba Legislative Building beginning shortly before 11 a.m., and there will be a service at the Valour Road Memorial Site beginning at 10:30 a.m.
In terms of what's open and closed on Remembrance Day, here's what you need to know:
- Retail stores and services are allowed to be open on Tuesday, but they must be closed between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. The same applies to movie theatres, concerts and sporting events.
- Restaurants and hotels are allowed to be open on Remembrance Day.
- There will be no garbage, recycling or yard waste pickup, according to the City of Winnipeg.
- Winnipeg Transit will be operating on a Sunday schedule.
Here is a list of just some of the Remembrance Day events scheduled for Tuesday:
Winnipeg Remembrance Day Service
10:15 a.m. – noon
RBC Convention Centre (375 York Ave.)
Hosted by the Joint Veterans Association of Manitoba.
Minto Armouries Remembrance Day Parade
9:45 a.m. – 11:45 a.m.
Minto Armoury (969 St. Matthews Ave.)
McGregor Armouries Remembrance Day Parade
10:30 a.m. – 11:45 a.m.
McGregor Armoury (551 Machray Ave.)
Royal Winnipeg Rifles Remembrance Day Ceremony
10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
At the memorial to the 44th Battalion of the Royal Winnipeg Rifles in Vimy Ridge Memorial Park, Portage Avenue at Home Street.
38 Canadian Brigade Group Valour Road Remembrance Day Service
10:45 a.m. – 11:45 a.m.
Sargent Avenue at Valour Road.
St. Norbert's Fifth Annual Remembrance Day Service
10:45 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
Outside at St. Norbert Cemetery on Sainte Therese Avenue.
Events at legions in and around Winnipeg
- Brooklands & Weston #2 Branch (2-1613 Logan Ave.) — 11:00 a.m. Open to public. Seating at 10:45 a.m. upstairs. Lunch to be served downstairs after service.
- Charleswood #100 Branch (Oak Park High School, 820 Charleswood Rd.) — 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Open to public. Must be seated by 10:30 a.m. sharp. A light lunch and refreshments will be available at noon at the legion's Tank Room.
- Elmwood #9 Branch (9-920 Nairn Ave.) — 10:50 a.m. Open to public. Weather permitting, there will also be a short service at the Elmwood Cemetery at 10 a.m.
- Fort Garry #90 Branch (1125 Pembina Hwy.) — Doors open before the service from 8:45 a.m. to 10:45 a.m. Open to public, but doors will be locked if capacity is reached. Ladies Auxiliary to provide light lunch after service ends at around noon.
- General Sir Sam Steele #117 (376 Salter St.) Service starts at 10:30 a.m.
- Norwood-St. Boniface #43 Branch (134 Marion St.) Open to public. Fall-in is at 10:15, followed by march to St. Philip's Anglican Church (240 Tache Ave.) for service at 11 a.m., followed by march back to club.
- Prince Edward #81 Branch (Alphonsus Parish Hall, 341 Munroe) — Open to public. Doors open at 10 a.m., service will begin at 10:50 a.m. There will be a luncheon and fellowship in the legion's club room at 300 Trent Ave. after the service.
- St. James Legion #4 (Bruce Park) — Open to public. The Remembrance Day service will be at Bruce Park starting at 10:45 a.m., followed by a parade back to the branch where there will be a gathering of members and guests.
- Transcona #7 Branch (117 Regent Ave. East) — Open to public. Parade forms up at the branch at 10:20 a.m. and marches to Blessed Sacrament Parish at 710 Roanoke St., where the service starts at 10:45 a.m. and a moment of silence will be observed at 11 a.m.
- Ukrainian Canadian #141 (618 Selkirk Ave.) — Service starts at 12:30 p.m. at the branch. Refreshment to be served afterwards.
- West Kildonan #30 (1748 Main St.) — Doors open at 10:30 a.m. and service starts at 10:55 a.m. Open to public.
- Winnipeg Beach #61 Branch (20 Hamilton Ave.) — Open to public. Service at the branch begins at 10:45 a.m. to be followed by a light lunch.
- Winnipeg Polish Canadian #246 Branch (1335 Main St.) — Open to public. Service will start at 10:45 a.m. Doors will be open to the public starting at 10 a.m.
- Winnipeg South Osborne #252 Branch (426 Osborne Street) — Open to public. Doors open at 10 a.m. and will close at 10:30 a.m. Service begins at 11 a.m. and will be followed by food and refreshments.
- Selkirk #42 Branch (Selkirk Recreation Complex, 180 Easton Dr. in Selkirk) — Open to public. Service starts at 10:30 a.m.
- Stonewall #52 Branch (459 Main St., Stonewall) — Doors will be open to the hall at 10:30 a.m. Service begins at 10:45 a.m.
- Henderson Highway #215 Branch (3400 DeVries Ave.) — Open to public, but there is limited seating available. Must be seated by 10:30 a.m. A light lunch and reception will be held at the branch after the service.
- West Kildonan Legion Branch #30 (1748 Main St.) — Open to the public. Doors open at 10:15 a.m. and service starts at 10:45 a.m.