Police recover teen's body from pond

Winnipeg police divers have pulled the body of a teenaged boy from a city retention pond.

Body in Winnipeg retention pond


9 years ago
Winnipeg police divers have recovered a body, believed to be that of a teenage boy who went missing the night before, in a retention pond in Tyndall Park. 1:53

Winnipeg police divers have recovered the body of a teenager who drowned in a city retention pond.

Members of the underwater search and recovery unit brought the boy's body to shore just before 1 p.m. on Tuesday, where it was turned over to uniformed officers.

Crews were called to the area just after 2 p.m. on Monday after police received a call about an assault, but then were told the teen went into the murky water at the Albina Park retention pond near King Edward Street.

Witnesses told police the boy appeared distraught and was yelling about being assaulted before he went into the water.

Police divers were coated in weeds when they surfaced during their search for the teen on Tuesday. (Meaghan Ketcheson/CBC)

He went into the pond once, then came out before returning and swimming to the middle where he appeared to have difficulty remaining above water, police said.

At one point, police said, he chased two people who approached him offering assistance.

"This individual clearly was upset, distraught specifically, when he was approached and when individuals were attempting to offer assistance," Michalyshen said.

Michalyshen said there was zero visibility in the weedy water.

"There's a lot of seaweed in the pond," he said. "They [divers] just have to go in a short distance and they're covered in it," he said.

Barbara Morgan, who lives next to the pond and kayaks on it, said her paddle often gets tangled in the weeds.

"If he ran in and dove into the weeds and tried to escape, he might find himself getting tangled," she said. "And then if he's not a strong swimmer, you could find yourself getting tangled and trying to get out — probably wouldn't be able to do it."

Police divers had searched the pond Monday afternoon and into the evening before calling off the search for the night. They resumed Tuesday morning at about 8 a.m.