Man died after 'violent incident' near David Livingston School, police say

A man has died after a "violent incident" near David Livingston School and Winnipeg police are calling it a homicide.

Police investigate in field near Winnipeg school just across from Charles Walk

Police block off part of a field behind David Livingston School, near Charles Walk. (Jeff Stapleton/CBC)

A man has died after a "violent incident" near David Livingston School and Winnipeg police are calling it a homicide.

Police were called to a field near the school, just across from Charles Walk, around 2:30 a.m., Const. Rob Carver said at a news conference on Wednesday afternoon.

"Upon arrival, general patrol officers located two adult males suffering from serious injuries; one unconscious and not breathing," police said in a news release.

Officers performed CPR until paramedics arrived, when the men were taken to hospital, where one of them was pronounced dead a short time later, police said.

The second man "suffered serious injuries and remains in hospital at this time."

Police tape surrounds the field behind David Livingston School as officers walk through with flashlights on Wednesday morning. (Meaghan Ketcheson/CBC)

Crumpled clothing and blood could be seen in the field, which was surrounded by police tape, as police went through it with flashlights at 7:30 a.m.

A number of officers were about a block away, near the corner of Robinson Street and Flora Avenue, where they talked to at least two people sitting on the ground.

Carver said later in the day that several people had been detained in connection with the incident, but no arrests had been made. People in the neighbourhood should no longer be concerned, he said.

A spokesperson for the Winnipeg School Division said classes at the nursery to Grade 8 school would go on as normal Wednesday but students would be kept away from that part of the field.

Police speak with a person sitting on the ground near the corner of Robinson Street and Flora Avenue, a block from Charles Walk, on Wednesday morning. (Meaghan Ketcheson/CBC)

There was a big police presence in the neighbourhood just one day earlier, after a 25-year-old man was shot by officers.

Police were responding to a home on Charles Street, between Church and Machray avenues, around 12:15 a.m. when they were confronted.

A man was shot and rushed to hospital, where he had surgery and remains in critical condition.

Members of the Independent Investigation Unit (IIU) were called to the scene and are now investigating.

Police spokesperson Const. Rob Carver said he couldn't speak about the shooting because the investigation is in the hands of the IIU, but officers are trained to use lethal force "any time they feel that their lives or the lives of anyone else are at risk, or that themselves or anyone around them is at risk of grievous bodily harm."