Plastics plant fire deemed an accident
Fire caused by spark from passing train, officials say
A blaze at a plastics recycling plant near Winnipeg's Transcona area was caused by accident, according to the provincial fire commissioner's office.
A government spokesperson told CBC News that a spark from a passing train ignited a grass fire that spread to the X-Potential Products plant on Saturday afternoon.
Clouds of black, potentially toxic smoke prompted emergency officials to evacuate homes north of the blaze as a preventative measure.
It took more than 65 firefighters to bring the blaze under control in two buildings at the plant.
The fire commissioner's office has yet to determine the extent of the fire damage at the plant, according to the spokesperson.