Manitoba

Pets die in Winnipeg house fire

Three adults and their adult grandson safely escaped a house fire in Winnipeg on Friday, but their pets did not make it out alive.

Fire caused by overloaded extension cord

Fire crews respond to a blaze on Grove Street in Winnipeg's Point Douglas neighbourhood. (Meaghan Ketcheson/CBC)

Three adults and their grandson safely escaped a house fire in Winnipeg on Friday.

A dog and cat, however, did not make it out and firefighters are searching for more pets.

The fire started at about 7 a.m. CT in a two-storey duplex on Grove Street in the city's Point Douglas neighbourhood.

The fire was extinguished within about 30 minutes, but it caused extensive damage.

Two grandparents and their adult grandson lived in one suite, while a man lived in the other, according to fire officials.

The provincial fire commissioner's office says the fire appears to be accidental, caused by an overloaded extension cord.

now