Manitoba

Oxford House fire response criticized by victim's brother

The brother of an Oxford House First Nation man who was seriously burned in a recent house fire says he is upset that it took emergency crews upwards of 48 minutes to arrive.

The brother of an Oxford House First Nation man who was seriously burned in a recent house fire says he is upset that it took local emergency personnel upwards of 48 minutes to arrive.

Darwin Chubb told CBC News that he called for a medical van four times before it arrived to help his brother Leonard, who was badly burned in a house fire on Jan. 25. (CBC)

Leonard Chubb, 43, is in a medically-induced coma in a Winnipeg hospital as a result of the Jan. 25 house fire on the First Nation, located about 575 kilometres north of the Manitoba capital.

Chubb's younger brother, Wilford Chubb, is in police custody in connection with the fire.

Another brother, Darwin Chubb, told CBC News it took RCMP members 48 minutes from the time he first called for help until the time they arrived at the scene.

Chubb said he called for a medical van four times before it showed up 25 minutes later.

"We called the dispatch office. Nobody showed up; no water truck," Darwin Chubb said in an interview.

"It's just upsetting. I felt anger … everything was supposed to be done right away."

According to Oxford House Chief Irvin Sinclair, a fight had escalated between Wilford and Leonard Chubb during a house party.

"The younger brother started dousing the house with gasoline," Sinclair said. "Leonard ran through the fire to get out and he was badly burned."

Sinclair acknowledged the slow response times that night, but he said the First Nation is committed towards a building a better fire and emergency response team.

RCMP are investigating the incident.

now