Osborne St. stabbing victim ID'd

Police have identified the victim of a homicide Friday in Osborne Village as Baljinder Singh Sidhu, 27.

Man killed in apparent Osborne Village street brawl

Police tape surrounds the scene of the stabbing near Ozzy's on Osborne Street. (Meaghan Ketcheson/CBC)

Police have identified the victim of a homicide Friday in Osborne Village as Baljinder Singh Sidhu, 27.

Sidhu was stabbed in Osborne Village early Friday in what witnesses described as a mob attack. He died after being rushed to hospital.

On Saturday, hundreds of people gathered at the home of his family to pay their respects.

"We feel very, very grieved, very sad," said Hardam Dhillon, the victim's uncle. "He was a young man and had a future ahead of him."

Dhillon said the family has deep roots in Winnipeg.

"They've been in Winnipeg 40 years and people are concerned what happened with their son. People are just coming to sympathize and ask a few questions. But at this moment we have no answers. We don't know what happened."

Police blocked a section of Osborne Street, between Wardlaw Avenue and Stradbrook Avenue, around 6:30 a.m Friday. It remained closed until about 4 p.m.

Blood-stained clothing or gauze lies crumpled on the sidewalk in front of Ozzy's Bar. (CBC)

There was a major disturbance just before 3 a.m. involving about 50 people near Ozzy's Bar in the Osborne Village Inn, police said.

According to area residents, the "major disturbance" was a street brawl. There are also reports of gunshots being fired at about the same time.

No arrests have been made.

Sidhu's death is the city's 24th homicide of 2011.

The Osborne Village area has had its share of violence recently. On July 13, a tattoo parlour was damaged after a failed firebombing, which has been attributed to fighting between outlaw biker gangs the Rock Machine and the Hells Angels.

On Thursday, a 29-year-old man was sent to hospital in critical condition after a fight at River Avenue and Osborne Street. He was later upgraded to stable condition.

An area near the Toad in the Hole pub was surrounded with yellow police tape during the morning rush hour and a police cruiser was parked on the sidewalk.