Manitoba votes 2019: Turtle Mountain riding profile
- About the riding
- Voting history
- News stories from Turtle Mountain
- Meet the candidates
- More riding profiles from CBC Manitoba
The riding's southern boundary is the Manitoba-U.S. border and its western boundary is the Manitoba-Saskatchewan border.
It includes the communities of Killarney, Hartney, Deloraine, Melita, Boissevain, Cartwright, Pilot Mound, Manitou, Notre Dame de Lourdes, Somerset and Swan Lake First Nation.
Its population is 23,165, according to the province's 2018 riding profile (compiled from the 2016 census).
The median age of the riding is older than the overall provincial median, at 44.7 in Turtle Mountain compared to 38.3 provincewide, according to the 2018 riding profile and the 2016 census. The census found the median household income in the area is $60,871.
More facts about Turtle Mountain:
- The riding has a greater percentage of residents aged 65 and older than the province in general, at 22 per cent in Turtle Mountain compared to 15.6 per cent provincewide, according to the 2018 riding profile and the 2016 census.
- Roughly four per cent of residents reported they speak German most often at home, the profile says, and roughly three per cent say they speak French most often at home.
- Less than three per cent of residents identified as visible minorities, the profile says.
- The median value of a home in the riding is $149,760, the profile says, and roughly 83 per cent of residents reported they own their home.
This will be the first election for the new riding of Turtle Mountain.
The nominated candidates for the 2019 election are:
- Richard Davies (Liberal).
- Angie Herrera-Hildebrand (NDP).
- David M. Neufeld (Green Party).
- Doyle Piwniuk (Progressive Conservative).
Candidates become official when they meet criteria set out in the province's Elections Act, including providing a statement of disclosure. In Turtle Mountain, all candidates official.
Sign up for CBC Manitoba's newsletter for insight into the latest election news. Every week until the campaign ends, we'll send you a roundup of what you need to know.