Manitoba

2nd COVID-19 death at Winnipeg personal care home brings Manitoba's death toll to 21

One more person with COVID-19 has died in Manitoba, bringing the total number of coronavirus deaths in the province since the start of the pandemic to 21, public health officials say.

Province reports 43 new cases of the coronavirus

Another person in Manitoba who had COVID-19 has died, health officials say. (Trevor Brine/CBC)

Another person in Manitoba who had COVID-19 has died, bringing the total number of coronavirus-related deaths in the province since the start of the pandemic to 21, public health officials say.

The most recent death is a man in his 70s who lived at Parkview Place in Winnipeg, where an outbreak was declared last month. This is the second death at that personal care home involving a person who had the disease caused by the novel coronavirus. 

A total of 23 people at Parkview Place — seven staff members and 16 residents — have now tested positive for COVID-19, the care home's operator, Revera, confirmed Friday afternoon. 

As of Friday morning, there were 43 new COVID-19 cases in Manitoba, the province said in a news release. There have now been a total of 2,072 confirmed cases of the virus in the province, with 652 cases still active, up from 621 on Thursday.

More than half of the new cases — 29 — are in the Winnipeg health region. This continues the trend of the capital region leading the rest of the province in new case numbers, five days after health officials introduced stricter health restrictions in an effort to reduce the spread of the virus.

There are seven new cases in the Prairie Mountain Health region, six in the Interlake-Eastern health region, and one in the Southern Health region.

Manitoba set a record for the highest number of patients in hospital with COVID-19 to date. There are currently 18 people in hospital with the illness, with seven patients in intensive care.

The current five-day COVID-19 test positivity rate is 2.3 per cent, up from 2.1 per cent on Thursday.

The province also released COVID-19 safety guidelines for Thanksgiving and Halloween. They recommend that families limit Thanksgiving gatherings to members of their household, while trick-or-treating can go ahead, as long as people follow fundamental precautions.

New personal care home outbreak

Health officials declared a new outbreak at the Carberry Personal Care Home, while they said the outbreak is over at the Fairview Personal Care Home in Brandon, Man.

They also announced a number of possible exposures at various locations, including a school, two child-care centres and three businesses.

Someone infected with the coronavirus was at Hugh John MacDonald School in Winnipeg on Sept. 28, but investigators assessed the risk of transmission as low, and they don't believe the infection occurred at school.

A cohort at Lindenwoods Child Care Centre in Winnipeg is isolating due to possible exposures Sept. 23 to 25 and Sept. 28 to 29.

Health officials also announced additional case of COVID-19 have been confirmed at Les enfants précieux child-care centre in Winnipeg.

These cases had attended the centre since Sept. 18, when the first possible exposure occurred, although investigators don't believe the infections were acquired at the centre. 

The new cases include staff and children.

Potential exposures 

A possible exposure occurred at Polo Park on Sept. 19, including at Foot Locker in the late morning and at Famous Wok in the food court around lunch time.

Another possible exposure happened at Bar Red Sea, 268 Portage Ave. in Winnipeg, on Sept. 19 from midnight to 3:30 a.m.

The Boston Pizza in Dauphin, at 1450 Main St., had a possible exposure on Sept. 13 from approximately 3:30 to 6 p.m.

There also was a possible exposure on WestJet Flight 147 from Winnipeg to Edmonton, rows four to 10, on Sept. 21.

On Friday afternoon, Winnipeg Transit also advised of a potential exposure on Route 10 bus and Route 14 buses on Sept. 23 and Sept. 24. The person travelled on both days between 8 a.m. and 9 a.m., says a city news release. 

On both days, the person who tested positive had boarded the Route 10 bus at Provencher Boulevard and Rue Saint-Jean-Baptiste, and exited at Portage Avenue at Donald Street.

The individual then transferred to a Route 14 bus, exiting at Ellice Avenue at Simcoe Street.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

now