Man hurt in St. Vital fire

A house on Sadler Avenue is a total loss after an overnight fire.
One man was hurt in a fire that destroyed 41 Sadler Avenue early Friday morning. (CBC)

An out-of-control bonfire may have sparked a blaze that destroyed a St. Vital home early Friday morning.

Emergency crews were called to 41 Sadler Avenue around 2:30 a.m.

The bungalow was engulfed in flames. Damage is estimated at $200,000.

Police said one man was taken to hospital to be treated for minor burns to his hands and smoke inhalation.

Acting Platoon Fire Chief Dennis Wiwcharyk told CBC backyard fire pits can be a problem when they are too close to homes.

He said there are other issues as well that contribute to things getting out of control.

"People overloading them, if you will, what should be a small bonfire, people were just overloading," he said. "Many times it's the type of material that they are burning and that does become an issue."

Wiwcharyk said evergreen branches should never be burned in firepits because they burn very quickly.

He said having a hose nearby is always a good idea.