Man gets 12 years for luring, attacking girl
A man who lured a six-year-old Winnipeg girl from a West End park and sexually assaulted her in a nearby rooming house will spend 12 years behind bars, a judge ruled Thursday.
Greg Glen Hope, 35, previously pleaded guilty to sexual assault causing bodily harm.
The victim was playing with her older brothers at the playground at the Magnus Eliason Recreation Centre at Ellice Avenue and Langside Street on the evening of May 23, 2010 when she was approached by Hope, who lured her to his nearby home and sexually attacked her.
Crown attorney Jennifer Mann told CBC News the young victim didn't require any surgery and has fully recovered from her physical injuries.
The sentencing judge ruled Hope will not become eligible for parole until he serves at least half his sentence. Normally, an offender would be eligible for early release after serving one-third of his time behind bars.
Hope was given credit for 10 months of time he’s already spent in custody, meaning he has more than 11 years left to serve.
In an interview with CBC after the attack, the victim’s mother said the girl's siblings, who are between eight and 12 years old, took their eyes off her for only a moment before realizing she was gone.
The mother said they immediately began searching the area but the girl didn't reappear at the playground until about 10 p.m.
She looked disheveled and was missing a shoe.
"She was crying and she told me what happened and I called 911 immediately," the mother said.
Hope was arrested a few days after the girl was assaulted.