What's open and closed on Louis Riel Day in Winnipeg
Shopping malls, restaurants and some city pools are open
Louis Riel Day is a statutory holiday, meaning most government offices are closed, but not everything is off limits.
And if you do have to work on one of the eight stat holidays in Manitoba, you get 1.5 times the rate of regular pay and most employees must be paid on these days, whether or not they work.
Polo Park, Kildonan Place, Grant Park and St. Vital are open on Louis Riel Day. Major malls are open on Monday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Grant Park is open 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.
All Manitoba Liquor Marts will be open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. except the City Place location which is closed. For a full list visit Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries website.
The following types of retail businesses can be open on Louis Riel Day in Manitoba:
- Businesses where no more than four people (including the owner) are working at any one time
- Motor vehicle or boat rental, repair and service shops
- Places with educational, recreational or amusement purposes
- Tourism and recreational facilities including summer resorts
- Other retailers selling nursery stock, flowers, garden supplies and accessories, fresh fruit and vegetables, and gasoline and related goods for motor vehicles.
- Additionally, municipalities pass a by-law to allow shopping at other retail businesses not listed.
(Source: Province of Manitoba Employment Standards)
City of Winnipeg services
All City of Winnipeg civic offices will be closed on Monday, Feb.15.
- Recycling and garbage will be collected as normally scheduled.
- Winnipeg Transit will operate on a Sunday schedule.
- Winnipeg Parking Authority will be closed.
- Leisure centres will be closed.
- All pools will be closed except Pan Am Pool (open from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.) and the Cindy Klassen Recreation Complex (open from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.)
- All Winnipeg public libraries will be closed.
- Animal Services will be closed.
- Cemetery grounds at Brookside, St. Vital and Transcona Cemeteries will be open for visitation from 7:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.