Manitoba

15-year-old handed maximum youth punishment for violent Manitoba Liquor Mart robbery

A teen boy has been sentenced to the maximum of three years custody for youth for his involvement in violently robbing the Tyndall Market Liquor Mart last November.

November robbery, assaults at Tyndall Market store fast-tracked security changes at Manitoba Liquor Marts

A 15-year-old boy has been sentenced to the maximum of three years in custody for his involvement in a Tyndall Market Liquor Mart robbery last November. (Angela Johnston/CBC)

A teen boy has received the maximum youth sentence for his involvement in violently attacking staff during a Winnipeg liquor store robbery last November.

The teen pleaded guilty in March to several charges, including multiple counts of robbery and assault, for his actions during the violent November incident at the Tyndall Market Liquor Mart, which shocked the province and led to fast-tracked enhanced security measures at provincial liquor stores.

Defence lawyer Matthew Munce said in an emailed statement on Tuesday his 15-year-old client was sentenced to three years in custody, which is the maximum sentencing for this type of offence for youth in Manitoba.

Judge Dale Schille announced his decision in provincial court on Tuesday morning.

The boy, who cannot be named, had previously pleaded guilty to five counts of robbery, three counts of assault, and one count each of assault causing bodily harm, uttering threats and count of mischief.

The Crown had asked for the maximum three-year sentence, while the defence asked for a sentence of no more than 18 months and a period of supervised probation in the community.

"We're obviously disappointed. We felt that something less than the maximum sentence could have been considered appropriate," Munce said in his statement Tuesday evening.

"While we need to hold the young person accountable for their actions, we also need to ensure that we are taking the appropriate steps to ensure their rehabilitation," he said.

Crown attorney Lisa Carson said in an email the boy has been given a credit of 282 days for time served, leaving him to serve another 813 days.

A 21-year-old man and another youth are also accused in the robbery, during which Liquor Mart employees were assaulted, as were other victims in the strip mall's parking lot.

That Liquor Mart on Keewatin Street closed down to make security changes. It reopened a week after the Nov. 20 robbery with new requirements for customers to provide photo identification, which is scanned at a security station, before being allowed through locked inner doors.

Similar security measures have since been introduced at some other Liquor Marts in the city.

With files from Austin Grabish

now