Manitoba

'The loudest thing I've ever heard': Lightning shakes Manitoba home

A couple living in rural Manitoba got the shock of their life on Good Friday after lightning struck their home.

Home left partially charred, electronics ruined, Christmas lights left on lawn

Lightning left quite the mess for the Waterston family in Mitchell, Man. Good Friday morning. (Brucette Waterston/Steinbach Online)

A couple living in rural Manitoba got the shock of their life on Good Friday after lightning struck their home.

Brucette Waterston and her husband are still recovering from the shock and cleaning up the mess.

"It was just the loudest thing I've ever heard," said Waterston, who explained how the lightning struck a satellite tower on her home, which was left partly charred after the strike.

"I thought maybe an airplane had crashed in the top of the house or something."

Waterston said during the strike she and her husband's bedroom lit up and that's when she noticed a funny smell.

The smell was smoke and it led her to find her spare bedroom charred with all of the couple's electronics ruined from the strike. They called 911.

'Big hole on the roof'

"They told us to get out and we couldn't get out because we couldn't open the garage door."

"I was hyperventilating trying to phone my daughter and she didn't know what was going on, so her husband Mark was over here quite fast."

Waterston and her husband eventually got out of the house only to discover more damage.

"There's a big hole in the roof," she said.

Waterston said Christmas lights that normally line her house were spread across her lawn.

"The electrician that was there now he said they probably all lit up at the same time even though they weren't plugged in he said they probably all lit up at the same time because of the aluminum eavestroughs."

Waterston said she feels fortunate the damage wasn't worse and she and her husband were not hurt.

She said they're now in the process of getting quotes to repair the damage.

now