Police watchdog probes shooting that left man dead in The Maples

Officials with Manitoba's police watchdog were knocking on doors in The Maples Sunday looking for more information after police fatally shot a man who stabbed an officer.

Police say a 33-year-old man was shot by officers after stabbing member of the tactical unit in The Maples

Cadets and members of Manitoba's Independent Investigation United had a section of Madrigal Close cordoned off Sunday. An officer was stabbed and a man was fatally shot by police in a home on the street, police said. (Julianne Runne/CBC)

Officials with Manitoba's police watchdog were knocking on doors in The Maples Sunday looking for more information after police fatally shot a man who stabbed an officer.

A 35-year-old Winnipeg police tactical unit officer was stabbed in the arm right before another officer fatally shot a 33-year-old man in a home on Madrigal Close Saturday afternoon, Const. Jay Murray said.

Murray said police "have attended that house in the past for this individual … we will say that this individual was known to police."

Manitoba's Independent Investigation Unit reviews all serious incidents involving police and has taken over the investigation. Members of the IIU were seen interviewing neighbours in the area on Sunday.

The incident started at about 4 p.m. Saturday when neighbour Helen Crane says a teenage boy knocked on her door.

"He said there was an incident happening at his house again and that his brother was there with some knives and that he was really scared to be here," Crane said Sunday, adding the boy asked her to call 911.

Crane called police and said a rush of police vehicles arrived in minutes. She said police entered the home and moments later gunshots rang out. Two people were then wheeled out on stretchers, Crane said.

Several evidence markers could be scene on the pavement and lawns near the home. Police tape remained stretched across several yards in the area Sunday. (Julianne Runne/CBC)

The officer who was stabbed was taken to hospital in unstable condition, but was later upgraded to stable. The 33-year-old man shot by police was taken to Health Sciences Centre but died. Murray said Sunday no one else was injured.

Crane said the incident made her feel unsafe in her neighbourhood last night.

"It makes me feel a little uneasy to think that things can happen so quickly in such a quiet neighbourhood," Crane said.

"To actually see it live right in front of your eyes, you're right there, it's just mind-boggling to think that that could just happen. And it's right across the street from you." 

Maria Stevenson, who lives a few doors down from the home on Madrigal, said she saw a fire truck and an ambulance speed by not long after the shooting.

Maria Stevenson lives on Madrigal Close near the home where the shooting happened. (Julianne Runne/CBC)

"It's such a quiet neighbourhood," she said. "We were all shocked, because none of that actually ever happens."

Her next-door-neighbour David MacCoy also noticed the stream of police cruisers and emergency vehicles.

"It's a strange scenario, because ... this is our security, you know?" he said.  

In a release sent to media Sunday afternoon, the IIU asked witnesses or other individuals who may have information or video footage that may help their investigation to contact the IIU toll-free at 1-844-667-6060.

The IIU also said they have asked the Manitoba Police Commission to appoint a civilian monitor.

The shooting happened a day before the previously scheduled 19th annual provincial police and peace officers memorial service at the legislature on Sunday. 

Winnipeg Mayor Brian Bowman, Justice Minister Heather Stefanson, NDP leader Wab Kinew and other local politicians joined dozens of uniformed officers at the event, which honours officers who have died in the line of duty.

At a news conference shortly after the memorial event, Murray said no officers with the Winnipeg Police Service have been killed on the job since local forces amalgamated in the 1970s to form the WPS.

A line of officers stands inside the Manitoba Legislature Sunday at the memorial event. (Bryce Hoye/CBC)

With files from Leif Larsen and Laura Glowacki