Manitoba

Space heaters ignite fire that destroys home east of Winnipeg

Space heaters are being blamed for a fire that destroyed a home east of Winnipeg on Wednesday.
Smoke and flames fill the sky early Wednesday morning at a house fire in the rural municipality of Springfield. (Submitted by Jeff Hudson)

Space heaters are being blamed for a fire that destroyed a home east of Winnipeg on Wednesday.

Emergency crews were called to the bungalow on Dundee Garson Road, in the rural municipality of Springfield, around 1:30 a.m.

A 49-year-old woman and a 19-year-old man got out of the house safely, RCMP said.

Fire Chief Jeff Hudson said the fire was ignited by space heaters that were being used in a three-season porch.

The fire started inside a three-season porch attached to the home, fire officials said. (Submitted by Jeff Hudson)

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversationCreate account

Already have an account?

now