Manitoba

Fire victim thanks rescuers

A Pine Falls man who was saved from a fire Monday night says his rescuers will always have a place in his heart.

A Pine Falls man said he has a lot of gratitude for two men who pulled him from his burning home Monday evening.

Roger Malo was asleep when fire broke out in his kitchen around 6 p.m. Monday near Powerview.

Roger Malo was asleep when fire broke out in his kitchen around 6 p.m. Monday. ((RCMP))
His neighbour Mark Alexander and Clayton Beck, a visitor from St. Andrews, both noticed smoke and kicked in the door.

They pulled Malo to safety.

"I could hear him and I could vaguely see him laying there," said Beck, describing what happened after he forced open the door. "His arms were waving. I grabbed him and I rolled him and I dragged him. There was another gentleman there to help me to stand him up to drag him out of there."

All three men were treated for smoke inhalation, police said.

Malo says he feels lucky to be alive and would return the favour in a heartbeat.

"If there's anything I can do for them, I'd do it in a flash. Anything man, for pulling me out from the brink of death."

RCMP say the fire was accidental and that it appears Malo fell asleep while cooking.

Beck later met Malo when they were both in hospital

"He came to my bed and said: 'Thank you for saving my life.' He started to cry and we had quite a moment there."

now