Family escapes Winnipeg house fire
Seven people were taken to hospital early Wednesday after their Winnipeg home went up in flames.
Three adults and three children were treated for smoke inhalation and a teenage girl suffered burns in the fire at 403 Maryland St.
Don Bramaud was sleeping in a back room of the house when he heard screaming and horns honking around 3:30 a.m.
He woke up to see smoke and then flames in the front of the house. Everyone inside escaped with only the clothes on their backs.
"I don't want to think about what could have happened," he said, adding he's just happy his family is safe.
Bramaud helped his partner, a 10-year old, an eight-year old and a seven-month old girl leave from a back window before waking the 17-year old mother of the baby to get her out of the house.
He said his teenage stepdaughter was burned when she tried to get back into the house because she thought her baby was still inside.
"There was confusion, but the baby and the kids were out first and I was the last one out," he said. "The kids were all shook up. It's terrible."
Police closed Maryland Street between St. Matthews and Ellice Avenue while crews battled the fire for several hours.
They said the house may have to be demolished.