Manitoba

22nd death, 38 new cases of COVID-19 in Manitoba Saturday

Another person with COVID-19 in Manitoba has died, according to a provincial news release Saturday. That brings the total number of deaths related to the illness caused by the novel coronavirus in the province to 22.

Woman in her 80s is 3rd person to die in connection with outbreak at Parkview Place in Winnipeg

There have now been three COVID-19-related deaths connected with an outbreak at Winnipeg's Parkview Place. (Jeff Stapleton/CBC)

Another person with COVID-19 in Manitoba has died, according to a provincial news release Saturday.

The death of the woman in her 80s brings the total number of deaths related to the illness caused by the novel coronavirus in the province to 22.

The woman was a previously announced COVID-19 case connected to an outbreak at the Parkview Place personal care home in Winnipeg. Her death is the third connected with that outbreak.

On Friday, public health officials announced a death of a man in his 70s who lived at the Edmonton Street care home.

Nearly two-thirds — 14 out of 22 — of Manitoba's coronavirus-linked fatalities have happened since Aug. 15.

There are 38 new cases of COVID-19 in the province as of Saturday, according to the press release.

Most of Manitoba's deaths linked to COVID-19 have happened in the last two months. (Bryce Hoye/CBC)

Of those, 33 are in Winnipeg health region, three are in the Interlake-Eastern health region and two are in the Prairie Mountain Health region.

Two previously announced cases have been removed from the case totals, bringing the total number of cases in Manitoba to 2,108.

There are now 677 active cases in Manitoba, while 1,409 people have recovered from the illness.

Public health officials reported an outbreak has been declared at the St. Norbert Personal Care Home, on St. Pierre Street in the south Winnipeg neighbourhood.

That facility is moving to the red, or "critical," level of the province's colour-coded pandemic response system.

A sign outside the care facility says both outdoor and indoor visits, including for designated family caregivers, are suspended until further notice.

The Winnipeg Regional Health Authority has no additional information to provide.

An outbreak was declared at the St. Norbert Personal Care Home in Winnipeg on Saturday. (Travis Golby/CBC)

Public health officials also issued a new warning of a possible COVID-19 exposure in Winnipeg at the Shark Club, at 233 Hargrave St. on Sept. 26 between 10 p.m. and 11:30 p.m. The exposure was in a private room at the bar and grill, the province said.

The current five-day COVID-19 test positivity rate is 2.5 per cent, up from 2.3 per cent on Friday. The province also said 1,963 tests were completed were completed Friday.

The number of active COVID-19 cases in the downtown Winnipeg health district increased by 16 on Saturday, the largest jump in any health district. (Bryce Hoye/CBC)

Latest local news


 

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

now