Coun. Russ Wyatt seeks delay of Waverley underpass plan
Winnipeg should wait before spending $155M on underpass until rail relocation taskforce finished, says Wyatt
Transcona Councillor Russ Wyatt wants to put the $155-million Waverley Street underpass project and the widening of Marion Street on hold until a task force, headed by former Quebec premier Jean Charest, examines the idea of relocating rail yards out of Winnipeg.
Wyatt will present a notice of motion tomorrow at City Council. The notice was seconded by Mynarski Councillor Ross Eadie and will be debated next month.
"We've had a massive change here since March of last year when Council adopted the Building Canada priorities," said Wyatt on Tuesday. Building Canada is a multi-billion fund created by the former federal government.
"Let's put a hold on anything to do with railways or grade separations because that could be throwing good money after bad," said Wyatt.
He suggests instead the city prioritize the Chief Peguis Trail – Main Street extension to Route 90 and the widening of Kenaston Boulevard, which do not involve rail separations, before the Waverley Street and Marion Street projects.
"I'm taking the Premier and the Mayor and Mr. Charest at their word, which they are committed to having these rail lines relocated out of the city," said Wyatt.
Arguing rail relocation could take decades is a "defeatist attitude," he added.